Lisboa e Vale do Tejo - Santiago’s Fortress

Lisboa e Vale do Tejo - Santiago’s Fortress

Rua da Fortaleza
2970-635 Sesimbra

(PT) Situada junto ao areal da praia de Sesimbra, a Fortaleza de Santiago fez parte da linha de defesa do estuário do Sado durante o séc. XVII.
Concluído em 1648, o projecto deve-se ao padre jesuíta João Cosmander, coronel da guarda do Rei D. João IV. Do conjunto, conserva-se a guarnição, as cisternas, o paiol, a antiga residência do governador, as masmorras e a capela.
Entre as duas torres do lado Norte, instalou-se em 1712 o governo militar da região. O mesmo espaço serviu de residência de verão dos Meninos de Palhavã, filhos bastardos do rei D. João V (séc. XVIII).
A fortaleza militar foi desactivada, em 1832, e cedida à Alfândega, em 1886. Em 1879, a Guarda Fiscal adaptou-o a quartel, função que ainda se conserva actualmente.

(EN) Situated near the beach of Sesimbra, the Fortress of Santiago was part of the line of defense of the Sado estuary during the 17th century.
Concluded in 1648, the project is due to the Jesuit priest João Cosmander, colonel of the guard of King D. João IV. The garrison, the cisterns, the armory, the governor's former residence, the dungeons and the chapel are preserved.
Between the two towers on the North side, the military government of the region was installed in 1712. The same space served as the summer residence of the Boys of Palhavã, bastard sons of King D. João V (XVIII century).
The military fortress was deactivated in 1832 and ceded to Customs in 1886. In 1879, the Fiscal Guard adapted it to the barracks, a function that is still preserved today.