Madeira - Fortress of San Tiago

Madeira - Fortress of San Tiago

Funchal

R. Portão de São Tiago 21
9050-031 Funchal, Madeira

(PT) Com a finalidade de proteger a cidade do Funchal de ataques corsários, a meados de 1614, iniciou-se a construção da Fortaleza de São Tiago. A sua edificação ficou à responsabilidade do mestre-de-obras Reais Jerónimo Jorge e, anos mais tarde, ficou concluída pelo seu filho Bartolomeu João. Sob a responsabilidade do Engenheiro Tossi Columbina (autor do projeto do porto do Funchal), a primeira fase das obras ficou concluída no século XVII e a segunda fase em meados do século XVIII, Ao longo dos séculos, a Fortaleza terá sido ocupada com vários fins, desde o aquartelamento a tropas britânicas, à Polícia do Exército e ao Esquadrão de Lanceiros do Funchal. Serviu, também, de abrigo às vítimas da aluvião que ocorreu na Ilha no ano de 1803.

(EN) 

In order to protect the city of Funchal from corsair attacks, in the middle of 1614, the construction of the Fortress of São Tiago began. Its construction was under the responsibility of the Royal master builder Jerónimo Jorge and, years later, was completed by his son Bartolomeu João. Under the responsibility of Engineer Tossi Columbina (author of the project for the port of Funchal), the first phase of the works was completed in the seventeenth century and the second phase in the middle of the eighteenth century. Over the centuries, the Fortress will have been occupied for various purposes, from the quartering of British troops, the Army Police and the Squadron of Lancers of Funchal. It also served as a shelter for the victims of the alluvium that occurred on the island in 1803.

  • Posted in: Castles, Landscape
  • Posted on : Thursday, 02 February 2017.
  • Ownership:: Public