Porto e Norte - Paço dos Duques de Bragança

Porto e Norte - Paço dos Duques de Bragança

R. Conde Dom Henrique 3,
4810-245 Guimarães

(EN) In 1937 restoration work began and on 24 June 1959, exactly 831 years after the battle of St. Mamede, the palace resurfaced in its Gothic grandeur of Norman inspiration. In the north wing of the ground floor is a small museum of contemporary art with pieces that the painter José de Guimarães donated to the city where he was born. The museum occupies the immense rooms on the first floor where a number of works of art from various museums are on display or ordered to be replicated, including 17th century furniture, collections of antique weapons and a remarkable set of four huge tapestries that describe in great detail scenes of the arrival of the Portuguese in Arzila, the siege of this city in North Africa and the capture of Tangier.

(PT) Em 1937 iniciaram-se as obras de restauração e em 24 de Junho de 1959, exactamente 831 anos passados sobre a batalha de S. Mamede, o palácio ressurgiu na sua imponência gótica de inspiração normanda. Na ala norte do piso térreo encontra-se um pequeno museu de arte contemporânea com peças que o pintor José de Guimarães doou à cidade onde nasceu. O museu ocupa as imensas salas do primeiro andar onde está exposto um conjunto de obras de arte provenientes de diversos museus ou mandadas replicar, entre as quais se destacam peças de mobiliário do séc. XVII, colecções de armas antigas e um conjunto notável de quatro tapeçarias de enormes dimensões que descrevem com muito pormenor cenas da chegada dos portugueses a Arzila, do cerco a esta cidade no norte de África e da tomada de Tânger.