Lisboa e Vale do Tejo - National Palace and Gardens of Queluz

Lisboa e Vale do Tejo - National Palace and Gardens of Queluz

Palácio Nacional de Queluz

Largo Palácio de Queluz
2745-191 Queluz

(EN) The construction of the Palace began in 1747, with Mateus Vicente de Oliveira as architect. Although it is much smaller, it is often called "the Portuguese Versailles". From 1826 on, the palace slowly ceased to be the favourite for Portuguese sovereigns. In 1908, it became state property. After a serious fire in 1934, which destroyed its interior, the Palace was extensively restored and is now open to the public as a tourist spot. One of the wings of the Queluz Palace, the Dona Maria Pavilion, built between 1785 and 1792 by the architect Manuel Caetano de Sousa, is today an exclusive guest room for foreign heads of state visiting Portugal. It was classified as a National Monument in 1910.

(PT) A construção do Palácio iniciou-se em 1747, tendo como arquiteto Mateus Vicente de Oliveira. Apesar de ser muito menor, é chamado frequentemente de "o Versalhes português". A partir de 1826, o palácio lentamente deixou de ser o predileto pelos soberanos portugueses. Em 1908, tornou-se propriedade do Estado. Após um grave incêndio em 1934, o qual destruiu o seu interior, o Palácio foi extensivamente restaurado e, hoje, está aberto ao público como um ponto turístico. Uma das alas do Palácio de Queluz, o Pavilhão de Dona Maria, construído entre 1785 e 1792 pelo arquiteto Manuel Caetano de Sousa, é hoje um quarto de hóspedes exclusivo para chefes de Estado estrangeiros em visita a Portugal. Foi classificado como Monumento Nacional em 1910.